Tasmanian place names
The names of Tasmanian towns have changed over the years.This guide will help take the guesswork out of finding their locations and origins.
What is online?
What else is there?
Significant place name changes include:
- Port Dalrymple - now George Town, site of first settlement in Northern Tasmania at the mouth of the Tamar River
- Carnarvon - now and previous during the convict era Port Arthur
- Clarence Plains - now Rokeby
- Green Ponds - now Kempton
- Horton - now Burnie or Circular Head
- Macquarie Plains - now Gretna
- Morven - now Evandale
- Norfolk Plains - Longford
- Penghana - now Queenstown
- Victoria - now Huon District
What can I find from other organisations?