Tasmanian railway employee records
Find historical Tasmanian railway employment records.
What’s available online?
What else is there?
The following records are in Hobart.
Records of government agencies responsible for railways in Tasmania
Main record series
- Private companies established the first railways in Tasmania. These companies did not prosper and the Government gradually took them over.
- The first company was the Launceston and Western Railway Company. It began constructing the Launceston-Deloraine Line in 1868.
- As the Government interest extended over the whole railway network the Tasmanian Government Railways was established under a General Manager for Railways in 1888.
- In 1978 responsibility for railways passed to the Commonwealth Government.
- In 1997 The Australian National Railway Commission sold the assets of AN Tasrail to a private consortium, trading as Tasrail Pty Ltd, which began operations in November 1997. The land over which the track is laid reverted to the State Government of Tasmania.
- The numbering codes are our unique identifiers for groups of records. Please refer to them if you ask to see records.
What other information could be useful?
What can I find from other organisations?