What you need to know when visiting the History Room
The History Room is our secure and quiet space for looking at original records and heritage material
, including the Allport
collections. On your first visit please bring photographic Identification and something that has your address on it. Many people use their driver’s licence for this.
- ensure the proper preservation of heritage and archival material for current and future researchers.
- enable others to undertake research without being disturbed.
- register daily.
- leave any bags in the lockers provided, including computer bags and handbags.
- ensure the preservation of all material used.
- do not write in or on the material, place anything on it, lean on it or fold, crease, cut, mark or otherwise damage or mutilate the material.
- use only a pencil or computer for note-taking.
- not eat or drink inside the History Room.
- ensure that others using the History Room are not disturbed or interrupted by your actions.
- use a mobile phone, camera or other equipment only after consultation with staff.
A person who does not comply with, or contravenes, these rules may be excluded or removed from the History Room by staff or be subject to the financial penalties specified in the Archives Regulations 2014
and/or the Libraries Act 1984
and associated regulations.
Personal Information Protection Statement